Sunday 6 October 2013

Andrew Motion and the Bristol Poetry Institute

On Friday night I went to a poetry reading by Andrew Motion. This post is basically my way of 'bigging up' the Bristol Poetry Institute, an organisation founded and run by members of the English department at the University of Bristol (where I study). I usually have a lot to criticize regarding the English department, yet this is one of their positive promotions. The BPI has only been active for just over a year, and has already conducted two highly successful poetry readings by past and present poet-lauretes (Carol Ann Duffy, and Motion), held literary debates, ran a Young Poets' competition, and hired it's first poet-in-residence, Rachael Boast. 


I feel that I often find myself writing negative things, and getting negative comments in response (what else should I expect!), so here's something positive: the Bristol Poetry Institute is a fabulous thing, an asset to both the university, and the city, sparking interest and conversation in and about great poetry - old and new. I hope that the institute - now in its infancy - grows in both popularity and strength, and personally hope to be able to attend interesting, engaging readings such as the one held on Friday night, even when I have left my alma mater. 

No comments:

Post a Comment